April 27, 2010

Visit from the Brayleys

I'm sure you all are sick of reading about my graduation excitement, so I'm going to just skip talking about all that and just write about the lovely week I had hanging out with my parents.

So they got here on Wednesday.  The forecast was for rain, but when they got off the plane in Salt Lake City, the skies were blue, there were just a few fluffy white clouds, and there was a bit of a breeze.  All in all, a beautiful day.  We went into Temple Square and got lunch at a sandwich place.  Pretty good, but the cookies were stale...  When we came back out to go to the Conference Center, the sky was cloudy and grey, and the sidewalk was wet.  So we took a peek inside the Tabernacle and headed off to the Conference Center.  Once inside, it started to pour.  Good timing, folks.  Anyway, we toured around the building and couldn't go on the roof because of the rain, so we went over to the Church History Museum.  It had some pretty neat exhibits, including Joseph and Hyrum Smith's death masks.  We went back to Provo and my parents took us to Fortune for dinner and then Wal-Mart to buy Aaron a lantern for his birthday.  Now we're all set to go camping this summer!

Thursday was beautiful.  We had a late start, but we made cookies for my cousin in the MTC and went up to campus so my dad could see some people he knows and so I could show my mom my office.  We got some Jamba Juice too, and headed back home.  Graduation took most of the afternoon, especially with all the pictures we took before and after.  We came home to crock pot orange chicken. Yum.

On Friday, my College Convocation took up the whole morning, but by the time it finished, the morning rain was done.  In the afternoon, we went to the fabric store to buy supplies for my new table runner (more on that when it's actually finished) and to another store to pick out a diploma frame.  We watched Star Wars: Episode VI that night.

On Saturday I started on the table runner with Mom's help.  After working on that for most of the morning, we picked up some Subway and went to Bridal Veil Falls for a picnic lunch.  We walked to the falls and then headed back.  We went to Costco, where my parents decided to buy Avatar.  So after a dinner of taco salad that night, we watched it.  I was really impressed.  Amazing graphics, really.  But "unobtainium?"  They couldn't come up with a better name?  Oh well.

On Sunday we went to another ward's Sacrament Meeting, where we didn't pay much attention since they were changing  both councilors in the bishopric so all the talks were about the new and old councilors...  And then we ate some lunch and dropped my parents off for their flight which apparently had to land to refuel in Richmond.  Mom's facebook status this morning: "Non-stop flight to from SLC to BWI should have been 4 hours, but a little thunderstorm, and a diversion to Richmond to refuel, made it more like 9. Home at 2:45 a.m.!"  Poor parents...

So it was a great visit.  I hadn't seen them since Thanksgiving, so it was really nice to have that time together.  It was especially nice because we had a lot of time to just hang out and do whatever we wanted-- which made for a very relaxed visit.  It was fun.  I'm sure they're glad to be home, sleeping in a real bed in a real bedroom (instead of an air mattress in our living room) but I think they had a good time with us too.

(I couldn't resist... more pictures on facebook if you're interested)

No comments: