May 14, 2013

Rocking Chair Redo

A few years ago, I bought a glider rocking chair and ottoman off of Craigslist.  It was only $10!  The fabric was worn and old, but it worked just fine.
Remember this?  Worn out green fabric and a lumpy/flat seat cushion.
When I was getting Andrew's room ready for his arrival, I came up with a plan for the glider.  I was going to recover the cushions with much better/cleaner/newer/prettier fabric!  As I thought about it though, I realized that I needed help.  I also realized that the seat cushion needed to be replaced completely- it was just so flattened and flimsy.  Also, I didn't think my sewing machine would be able to handle sewing through the foam on the back cushion.  And I needed a staple gun.

Well, it just didn't happen before Andrew was born.  In March, there was a sale on home decor fabrics so I went fabric shopping with my mom and sis-in-law while Aaron, Austin, and my dad stayed home with the kids.  We found the perfect one for my glider and it was super cheap too- if I remember correctly it was under $30 total.

Over General Conference weekend, my mom and I tackled the project.  We ended up buying new foam for the seat, as well as some more foam to supplement the back.  We also decided not to sew though the foam, like it had been on the old cover.  Anyway, we finished the cushions that weekend, so all I had to do was make straps with velcro for fastening the cushions to the chair, and the ottoman.  I borrowed Dad's staple gun and brought everything home to finish up.

Well it took me a few weeks.  I decided to make the straps by hand because I didn't want the hassle of getting out my sewing machine for such a quick job.  It turned out to be not such a quick job because of it.  Sewing by hand takes a long time!  But finally I finished the chair, after watching a lot of Netflix during Andrew's naps while sewing with a needle and thread.

I was always afraid to use the staple gun while Andrew was asleep- I didn't want to wake him up and that seemed to be the only time I had to work on projects like this.  Eventually I sucked it up and did the ottoman after he was in bed for the night.  I listened carefully to the monitor for the first few staples, but he didn't stir at all.

So FINALLY my project is done- just in time for me to not need it in the middle of the night anymore...  of course.  I still use it occasionally, but most of the time during the day I nurse Andrew in the living room.  Oh well, it is much more comfortable now and much more attractive too!

Total cost for this project: about $55 for chair, fabric, and foam.  I already had the velcro and thread, and I borrowed the staple gun and my mom's skills :)  I think that's pretty great, considering these chairs go for over $100 new.  And I even have a bunch of fabric left over, so I think I'll be making some throw pillows, or maybe a big floor pillow to match.


Suzie said...

This is so cute! I am so impressed. Love the fabric too!

Mariko said...

Impressive!! It turned out great! I don't think I have the guts to tackle this kind of project. And, isn't it amazing what kids can sleep through?!

[and I am totally offering unasked advice, but I know it would totally be a WHOLE LOT more work, but I think the chair would look great if the wood was painted white. I feel like the pattern would pop even more!]

Erika Kimbler said...

Mariko, I was totally planning on redoing it white, but then I really thought about how much work it would be with all the moving parts and everything. I still want to do it though, because it would go so much better with all the other baby furniture and yes, it would make the design of the fabric pop more.

I think I might get around to it before the next baby. Andrew can just deal with it until then :)

Mariko said...

Painting stuff is SUCH a hassle. I do have a trick where you would not need to sand it down though! It's what I did for our buffet in the living room. I agree though, Andrew can deal, wait for the next baby!