June 19, 2014

Family Time and Getting Caught in the Rain

I'm playing catch-up a little bit here, since I've been neglecting this blog lately.  Oops.

In May, Aaron had a work trip to Atlanta.  He left on Mother's Day (gee, thanks) and got back the day after our anniversary (again, thanks for that).  His trip also happened to fall the same week that my grandmother (Nan) was going to be visiting my parents.  So Andrew and I went to Lake Holiday and spent some time with my family while Aaron was gone.
My Mother's Day present to my mom :)

I was worried that Andrew would be super shy around Nan and his cousins he hasn't seen recently, but he was so friendly and had a great time.  He would chat with Nan and show her around the house, and he chased Archer around the house, laughing at all his cousin's funny faces.



One day while we were there, my dad and I decided to take Andrew and Amelia out for a canoe ride.  The clouds were starting to roll in as we walked down to the dock but we decided to go ahead and take them out for a short ride before the rain started.  Right after we got the canoe off its wheels, we looked up at the sky and realized the rain was coming- right away!  We were all wearing our life jackets already, but the drops were starting to fall so I took the kids and we started running up the hill to the clubhouse while my dad put the wheels back on the canoe and got it ready to bring home.  Suddenly we were drenched- the rain came down like a blanket and Amelia started crying.  Andrew doesn't mind being wet so he was just looking around in awe.  I picked up Andrew and grabbed Amelia's hand and we ran! Andrew kept slipping off my hip since we had our life jackets on but we finally made it to the clubhouse where we were rescued by my mom and sister-in-law.  It was quite the adventure!  Archer was especially proud that he got to be part of the rescue team :)


Andrew and I came home on Friday so we could pick up Aaron from the airport in the morning.  On Saturday we picked Aaron up at BWI and headed right back to my parents' place since this was the day the whole family would be there.  We had a really fun day together and even took some cute photos.  It was a real treat to have Nan with us for a week- we really don't get to see her (or any of our other extended family) very often, and I even got to hear some of her stories from her childhood.

A canoe full of grandkids!


Kookoopa and the boys

No comments: