August 29, 2011

Hurricane Irene

Not only did we have an earthquake this week, but a hurricane too!  What excitement!

I guess I could have been more prepared for this storm, but I was convinced that it wouldn't be as bad as everyone was saying.

And in a way, I was right.

The worst part was being without power for about 20 hours.

It was a pretty violent storm, but not a scary storm.  The wind was blowing hard and the rain was coming down fast, but Aaron and I were safe and warm in our apartment.  We spent Saturday evening watching a movie and playing on the Wii until the power went out around 11:00pm.  After telling each other a few ghost stories in the living room, we went to bed.

We slept in on Sunday, knowing that church had already been cancelled because of the storm.  We worked on decorating the apartment a little bit, but that got boring quickly.  It wasn't raining anymore by noon.  There was still some light wind, but the sun had come out, taunting us for not having electricity.  There were leaves all over the parking lot, but no real damage that I could see.

After much boredom and dissatisfaction with the food available, the power came back on at around 6:00pm, just in time for dinner!

My facebook status after the power came back: "I have never been so happy to see a lamp turn on. We have power!"

Aaron's facebook status after the power came back: "The worst part about Irene was the melted ice cream =("

My office doesn't have power right now though, so I'm sitting at home wondering if it'll come back anytime today.  Those of us in the office are very limited without access to our computers so we're just waiting it out.  Aaron's work is still going on though, so I sent him off with the car.  If the power comes back and I need to go to work, my coworker Heather is going to have to pick me up.  I have a bunch of things I'd love to get done while I'm home, but I can't go much of anywhere without the car, and I don't feel like I can do anything that I couldn't stop right away and leave if I need to go to work.  That means I feel like I can't work out because then I'd need to come home to shower and everything really quickly if I need to go.

So I guess my shopping is going to have to wait until Aaron gets home tonight.

No comments: