April 23, 2013

Let's Review: Harry Potter's Bookshelf

I have read Harry Potter several times.  I just love those books.  I went to midnight book release parties, midnight movie showings, and even directed/performed/edited/produced movie trailers for several of the books before the official trailers came out for the movies.  I've stayed up to read "just one more chapter" that inevitably leads to finishing the book, even when it means several hours of reading.  I'm a little a lot obsessed.  Maybe you're obsessed like me.  That's okay- good things are meant to be enjoyed.  Several times.

So this one's for you, my English Major/Harry Potter obsessed readers!

Or anyone who loves Harry Potter and literature in general.

Ok, so maybe it's just me, but I really enjoyed this book.  It really reminded me of a college English class, where you really look deeper into a book and compare elements of it to other books or traditions.  Now I realize that not everyone would enjoy such a book.

But I am a nerd.

And I am also a stay-at-home-mom who needs something intellectual in her life :)


This book is broken up into chapters by topic.  For example, one section was about the Gothic elements in Harry Potter, including setting, character types, plot, etc.  It talked about what elements are needed for a setting to be considered "Gothic" and discusses how Harry Potter fills those requirements.  It compared character types in Harry Potter to those included in such Gothic Romances as Dracula, Frankenstein, and Jane Eyre.

Get the picture?

But John Granger (a fitting last name, by the way) doesn't just explore the Gothic Romance that is Harry Potter.  He also includes sections on the narrative, literary alchemy, postmodernism, satire, and eyeballs.

Yes, there is a chapter dedicated to the study of the eyeballs scattered throughout the Harry Potter series.

This book has a pretty specific audience and I have to admit that you must be pretty well read in order to enjoy this book.  You'd be pretty lost/bored/confused when Granger discusses Wuthering Heights if you've never read it.  I actually found myself in that situation a couple of times- a few of his references are not super well known in the United States.  And obviously you must have read Harry Potter (preferably multiple times) or else why would you even care about the books that influenced it?

If you're a nerd like me, get this book.  Now.  GO!

*I did not get this book for free or at a discount, nor am I receiving any kind of compensation for this review.  I just liked this book and thought you should know about it too*

2 comments:

Angie said...

This book is sitting at the top of my rather large to-read pile. I'm excited to read it.

Erika Kimbler said...

I thought you, specifically, would like it Angie!